Monday, November 17, 2014

Review of A Grimm Legacy (1) by Janna Jennings

Disclaimer: I received this book via NetGalley and would like to thank the publishers for allowing me to read this book in return for an honest review.

First things first, I think that this book had a great idea behind it. Like many others, I too grew up on fairy tales and loved the idea of a few of them intertwined together. The author had a great idea here.

That being said, I don't think that the book came to fruition. The opening two pages had me hooked but unfortunately the book couldn't keep my interest. Things felt choppy and rather unreal. I wanted to connect with the characters but wasn't able to. It was almost as if there was a brick wall between me and the actual characters. Any time the dialogue began to flow, the author would chop it up with narrative.

There's an old saying with writing/reading that goes like this: 'Show me, don't tell me'.

Aside from that there were obvious grammatical errors as well as issues with it being 3rd person yet still throwing out the first person vibes.

Personally I couldn't make it past the third chapter. I wanted to...I promise I did, alas I couldn't.

This gets 2/5 stars from me....only because I think the author has room to revisit the story and grow a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment